When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
We are seeking a motivated and driven engineer to support management of Verizon’s One Fiber Network for Charlotte, NC. The OSP Engineer II is responsible for fiber network design and construction of projects for Verizon’s fiber network. The type of outside plant (OSP) projects you will work consist of new fiber routes and modification of existing fiber routes that connect network elements to the core backbone network. A large volume of fiber projects will be to Verizon Wireless macro sites, small cells and customer building locations as well as Telco Migration of leased circuits to businesses to the Verizon Network. This will also include maintaining the Verizon Network for any damage and outages that may occur.
- Reviewing proposals for underground and above ground aerial fiber construction.
- Utilizing knowledge of fiber cable sizing, cable counts, cable record management, fiber characteristics, transmission protocols, route diversity, route protection plus front-haul and back-haul concepts. Ability to develop and create aerial and underground fiber route maps.
- Understanding fiber optic design from splice plans to fiber construction knowledge.
- Providing engineering guidance to vendors, monitor progress and insure timely completion of projects.
- Approving close out packages and evaluate as-built drawings for quality control. The candidate will develop, evaluate and approve fiber-splicing packages.
- Coordinating with a variety of teams and have direct contact with including but not limited to: customers, building owners, internal departments, residential and business end-users, building contractors, and permitting agencies.
- Working in a diverse group of team members, both internal and external, to solve complex problems and implement innovative solutions to meet our customer expectations.
- Performing route analysis to determine scope, budget, and schedules for existing and new OSP projects.
- Selecting and pricing solutions based on the most effective, efficient, and timely design.
- Delivering on project installations within the stipulated time, as well as customer solutions in a timely manner and be cost conscious.
- Working in diverse environments, both indoors and outdoors, to solve complex problems and implement innovative solutions to keep our customers happy.
- Leading and drive vendors to provide timely construction drawings and closeout packages, as well direct team members with guidance on internal systems.
Where you'll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You have the ability to run outside plant engineering projects. You enjoy analyzing problems and have the autonomy to select and implement the right solutions. You work independently while being a great team player leading colleagues and coordinating efforts to ensure best outcomes. You work well in a fast-paced environment. You are comfortable working on very demanding projects. As a strong communicator, you need to build relationships with a diverse range of people and explain complex technical issues in a way that everyone can understand.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or one or more years of work experience.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time.
- Valid driver's license.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Knowledge of industry standards and local requirements regarding construction and engineering of fiber networks.
- Knowledge of Fiber to the Cell network design.
- Experience in Outside Plant Engineering, Construction or Installation.
- Good Analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to make network design decisions based on Engineering Guidelines and current field conditions.
- Strong communications skills.
- Ability to interact with both highly technical and non-technical customers alike with the goal to provide an understanding of our service order process and recommended method of delivery.
- Ability to quickly build relationships with a diverse range of people and explain complex technical issues in a way that everyone can understand.
- Knowledge of CAD and other industry standard software applications used to create engineering designs.
- Experience in windows-based programs and applications along with corporate database systems.
- Knowledge of Google Earth, 3GIS, and MS Office.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.